Just a quick celebratory post to say that I actually finished the baby blanket and it got safe to its new home last night to an simply adorable one-year-old!
Sorry, no "finished" picture, but I ended up backing it with a pale blue and white flowered flannel and putting a piece of white flannel in-between for some added weight (still too chicken to work with batting, and I'm having a hard time sourcing 100% cotton batting or wool anyway, but maybe I'm not looking too hard either...hee hee).
I ended up keeping the top just as it was in the previous post. Simple.
Feeling pretty good about this and am already thinking about the next one...